Child Support Attorney San Diego

Along with child custody, child support is one of the major points of concern for parents going through a divorce or paternity action. Like custody, there are specific factors the Court will analyze to determine the proper amount of child support. While this may seem relatively straightforward, there are many issues which can cause these cases to become extremely complicated.

At the Law Office of Steven M. Bishop, CFLS, we have helped many parents who have struggled to find answers to their child support concerns. Our firm is led by founding lawyer Steven M. Bishop, who has been certified as a specialist in family law by the California Board of Legal Specialization. Mr. Bishop has over four decades of legal experience with family law concerns, including countless cases involving the determination of child support.

Helping You Calculate Child Support Payments

The child’s parents might be able to agree on the amount of child support that the noncustodial parent will pay to the custodial parent, but this is often not the case. If they are unable to come to an agreeable solution, the Court decides the child support amount based on a statewide guideline calculation.

California state guidelines are based on each parent’s net disposable income and the amount of time the child(ren) spend in each parent’s residence. The law determines net disposable incomes by taking the total of all sources of a parent’s earnings and subtracting certain allowances, such as:

  • Taxes
  • Mandatory union dues
  • Costs of raising children from a previous relationship
  • Mandatory retirement contributions
  • Health care premiums
  • Spousal support obligations

The exact formula for arriving at the prescribed amount of child support is very complex but experienced Family Law attorneys like Steven M. Bishop have access to the programs and software which provides an accurate estimate.

In some of these cases, a parent may make an effort to underreport income to the Court. This is especially true when a party owns a business or is self-employed. In these situations, it is extremely important to work with an experienced attorney to ensure the Court has the correct information when making its final determination.

Questions About Your Case?

If you are having difficulty with a child support matter, we can help you understand the available options. Call our San Diego office at 619-535-0678 or send us an email to arrange your free telephone consultation with our experienced attorney.

Contact Us Today


Discuss Your Case With An Experienced Family Law Specialist

To talk to our lawyer about your family law issue in a free telephone consultation, please call our office at 619-299-9780. You may also send us an email. We represent people throughout San Diego County in a host of different family law matters.

Map Location

The Law Offices of Steven M. Bishop, Attorney at Law, A California Corporation

591 Camino De La Reina, Suite 700

San Diego, CA 92108

Phone: 619-299-9780

Fax: 619-299-0316

Map & Directions