Child support orders are legally enforceable orders made by a court of law and should be taken very seriously. Not complying with child support orders can have serious and lasting consequences. If you or someone you know is dealing with a former partner or spouse who is failing to pay child support, contact the Law Office of Steven M. Bishop today to learn more about your rights under the law and how we can help you enforce your child support order and collect support on behalf of your child. Whatever the reason your former partner is failing to pay child support, the Law Offices of Steven M. Bishop will vigorously assist you in getting your former partner to pay child support as ordered by a court.

How can attorney Steven M. Bishop help me enforce my child support order?

For nearly 40 years, Mr. Bishop has been assisting greater San Diego area clients with all manner of family law matters, including child support enforcement. There are several options available when you are trying to have a support order enforced and Mr. Bishop and his skilled staff will discuss these options with you and help you to move forward on the path most appropriate for you and your family.

Motion for Contempt: The California court system can legally enforce an order for child support by determining that the parent who has failed to pay child support is in "contempt of court". Contempt of court can be either a criminal or civil matter, and the penalties for being in contempt of court can include fines and/or jail time.

Court orders aimed at collecting support from a parent who is delinquent on their child support obligation: At a Motion for Contempt hearing, a judge has the option of imposing additional orders against a parent who has failed to pay child support, especially if that parent has assets or property. These additional orders can be complex, which is why it is important to retain an experienced family law attorney in order to enforce your child support order. Attorney Bishop can assist in filing for orders that require a parent to sell their property to pay their support obligation, orders which place liens on a parent's property (such as their home, rental or investment property etc.), wage garnishment orders, bank account garnishment orders and more.

Additional penalties for failure to pay child support: In California, if a parent fails to pay their court-ordered child support and they get more than 30 days behind in that support obligation, the Department of Motor Vehicles may refuse to renew that parent's driver's license until they can prove that they are current on their support obligations. Additionally, the State of California reports delinquent parents to the three major credit reporting agencies, which can result in lowered and damaged credit scores for parents who fail to pay child support.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for response

Contact Us Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Discuss Your Case With An Experienced Family Law Specialist

Map Location

The Law Offices of Steven M. Bishop, Attorney at Law, A California Corporation
591 Camino De La Reina Suite 700
San Diego, CA 92108

Phone: 619-535-0678
Fax: 619-299-0316
Map & Directions