San Diego Collaborative Lawyers Stand By You
If you are thinking about ending your marriage, you may have heard the term collaborative divorce, but you are still unsure of its meaning. More importantly, you do not know if it is the right choice for you when it comes to dissolving your union.
Below are some commonly asked questions about San Diego collaborative law:
- What is collaborative divorce? The term refers to ending a marriage in a way that fosters compromise and cooperation, instead of through the often contentious traditional method of court proceedings.
- Who uses this method of divorce? Collaborative divorce is most often sought by couples who are on good terms with one another, and can come to an agreement about major issues involved in ending their marriage, such as the division of debts and assets and child custody arrangements.
- How is collaborative divorce different from other types of divorces? In a typical divorce, both parties go to court with their attorneys. The attorneys then argue before a judge about the terms of the divorce. The judge makes a decision, and although appeals are possible, they can be expensive and, in the end, ineffective. A collaborative divorce, on the other hand, lets both parties meet with their San Diego collaborative attorneys to craft a divorce agreement that they can both live with, and present to a judge for approval.
- Why should I choose a collaborative divorce? Such a divorce can be beneficial if the couple wants to avoid a long, drawn-out court battle, bitterness and hurt feelings, or substantial legal fees. Generally, this kind of divorce is less expensive than other types of divorce, and it gives the couple more control over how and when their marriage ends.
- Is this kind of divorce suitable for couples with children? Collaborative divorce is ideally suited for partners with minor children. It avoids putting both parents and children through the stress and frustration of a traditional divorce, and it enables parents to show their children how to work out problems in a calm and mature manner.
Contact us regarding San Diego collaborative divorce today
When you need the skilled guidance of an experienced collaborative lawyer in San Diego, the Law Office of Steven M. Bishop is here to help. To speak with someone experienced in San Diego collaborative family law today, please contact our office. Fill out our online contact form.